.NET ecosystem in Gentoo in year 2023
The Gentoo Dotnet project introduced better support for building .NET-based software using the
dotnet-pkg eclasses. This opened new opportunities of bringing new packages depending on .NET ecosystem to the official Gentoo ebuild repository and helping developers that use
dotnet-sdk on Gentoo.
New software requiring .NET is constantly being added to the main Gentoo tree, among others that is:
- PowerShell for Linux,
- Denaro — finance application,
- Ryujinx — NS emulator,
- OpenRA — RTS engine for Command & Conquer, Red Alert and Dune2k,
- Pinta — graphics program,
- Pablodraw — Ansi, Ascii and RIPscrip art editor,
- Dafny — verification-aware programming language
- many packages aimed straight at developing .NET projects.
Dotnet project is also looking for new maintainers and users who are willing to help out here and there. Current state of .NET in Gentoo is very good but we can still do a lot better.